Often salads are put aside during the winter because we are craving warm food to balance the outside weather but here is a warming and strengthening salad for your immune system. A mix of cooked grains ad beans mixed with raw vegetables.
Winter Happiness Salad is packed full of healthy nutrients.! Beautiful deep green lacinato kale, crisp juicy apples, dried currants, hearty chickpeas and quinoa. A hearty vegan salad that can be made ahead- perfect for potlucks, gatherings or midweek lunches!
• 3 cups cooked Quinoa ( 1 ¼ cup dry)
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 bunch Lacinato Kale, de-stemmed, cut into one inch pieces
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• pinch of salt
• 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, rinse and finely chop
• 1 large apple, chopped into small bite sized pieces.
• 2 scallions, chopped
• 1 ½ cups chickpeas, (15 ounce can, drained and rinsed, if using canned)
• ⅓ cup dried currants
• 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest ( about 1 medium lemon)
• ⅛ cup lemon juice
• ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
• 1 tablespoon honey (sub maple syrup for vegan)
• 1 teaspoon miso paste (adds depth, richness & probiotics!) white, red or brown
• ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
Get quinoa cooking and cool to room temperate. (Quinoa can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use.)
Make the vinaigrette: whisk all ingredients together, except the oil, in a small bowl, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking.
Toast fennel and coriander seeds in a cast iron skillet (or any pan will do) and give them a few stirs until they just start to give off their lovely fragrance, about 30 seconds. Grind with mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
Rinse and pat dry kale leaves and remove ribs and stems. Place in a large bowl and add the 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch salt. Rub the salt and oil in the leaves with your hands to tenderize the kale.
Add the cooled quinoa, parsley, apple, scallions, chickpeas, currants, lemon zest and ground spices to the bowl with the kale and toss gently with the vinaigrette.
Taste and adjust salt and vinegar, adding more to taste.